Trans-Pacific Partnership – NAFTA on Steroids
Thursday, October 11 • 1:00 pm CST
***For Call Information RSVP to david.cortez (at) sierraclub.org***
Learn about the TPP – the massive new free trade agreement being negotiated behind closed doors. Transnational corporations want to use the TPP to:
- Offshore good-paying jobs to low-wage nations and undercut working conditions and labor rights globally;
- Create new tools for attacking environmental and consumer safety policies;
- Deregulate Wall Street banks, hedge funds and insurance companies;
- Further concentrate global food supplies, displacing family farmers and subjecting consumers to wild price fluctuations; and
- Lengthen patents thereby blocking access to affordable, generic medications.
Learn what CWA and Sierra Club are doing and what you can do to help.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade agreement is a threat to those of us concerned about fracking in Texas and across the country. The Sierra Club’s Beyond Natural Gas Campaign and Labor & Trade program have partnered to call attention to portions of the TPP that will pave the way for more fracking in Texas.
This factsheet provides a good overview of why trade matters to those of us primarily concerned about the environment.
US Trade Representative Ron Kirk refuses to acknowledge the concerns of more than 28,000 Americans who signed our petition to call for more environmental and worker protections in the TPP. You already told Ron Kirk that we want responsible, fair trade that doesn’t sacrifice our air and water quality in order to ship natural gas to Pacific Rim nations. Now let’s learn what else we can do with our brothers and sisters in the labor movement.
Email david.cortez (at) sierraclub.org for the call information.Dave Cortez Sierra Club Lone Star Chapter