This week, the Austin City Council officially named 7 of the 9 members of the Austin Generation and Resource Planning Task Force, while the Electric Utility Commission named their member, solar advocate and local attorney Clay Butler. Remaining to be named is a member of the Resource Management Commission, which is expected to meet on April 15th to choose their member. Word on the street is the first meeting of the new Task Force will be April 16th. Task force is expected to make final recommendations on Austin Energy’s Generaton Plan through 2024 in June. Sierra Club will be on the committee through our Lone Star Chapter Conservation Director Cyrus Reed, who served on the original task force in 2010. The Task Force will look at future of solar, wind, energy efficiency, gas and coal in Austin’s generation portfolio.
In other news, Austin City Council did approve the 150 MW SunEdison solar contract at a reported 4.8 cents per kilowatt hour. The two utility-scale projects would be built in West Texas and be operational by 2016, at which time Austin Energy would meet its 35% renewable energy goals.
1. Barry Dreyling, Spansion (Mayor Leffingwell)
2. Cyrus Reed, Sierra Club (Mayor Pro Tem Cole)
3. Michele Van Hyfte, Seton (Council Member Spelman)
4. MIchael Osborne, Former VP at Austin Energy (Council Member Riley)
5. Tom “Smitty” Smith, Public Citizen (Council Member Morrison)
6. Carol Biedrzyck, Texas ROSE (Council Member Martinez)
7. Mike Sloan, Virtus Energy (Council Member Tovo)
8. Clay Butler, Butler Firm (Electric Utility Commission representative)
9. To Be Named, Resource Management Commission